– Coal Creek Historic Park, Cumberland –
Sunday, May 15, 2022
As you may have heard, the Cumberland Community Forest Society (CCFS) is heading to the finish line in their push to purchase the last bit of land in the upland and riparian forests along Lower Perseverance Creek (This 44-acres biodiversity corridor connects the Cumberland Community Forest Park with protected areas at Comox Lake and sets the stage for critical stewardship and restoration work). As we play, learn and connect beside Perseverance Creek, we will continue to help the CCFS as they work hard to secure the final $60,000 of a $960,000 project between now and June 30th (click HERE to learn more about CCFS’s plans).
We know that you know children who love this forest and creek, and are hoping these children can help us protect it. On Sunday, May 15th, we invite children to help raise money for the beautiful Cumberland Community Forest by taking part in our 2nd Annual Kids’ Hike to Help the Forest (with adult accompaniment). The event is designed for children aged 2-8, but is open for anyone who would like to participate. Choose from one of 2 routes (a flat, stroller-friendly 2-km hike or a more difficult 4.5-km loop with about 100-m of elevation gain) that will be guided by a HIH Nature Educator, and feature a story and snack time at the halfway mark.
Both routes begin and end at the Picnic Pavilion at Coal Creek Historic Park and travel sections of Perseverance Creek. All participants (regardless of route) will meet at the Picnic Pavilion at 9:30am on the 15th for a group warm-up (led by HIH Director, Jarrett Krentzel) at 9:45am. Then both groups will head out with their guide by 10am. Each child will receive a small gift to say “thank you” for supporting the forest back at the Pavilion upon completion of their hike. So kids, grab an adult, and let’s help the CCFS to save the creek and forest we care so much about!
Please click HERE to register. Registration is a minimum $25 donation. 100% of this charitable donation will go directly to the Cumberland Community Forest Society (CCFS).
We appreciate you spreading the word – please pass this info on to anyone you think might be interested, young or old (please share news with friends and neighbours)!
- Dress appropriately for being outside, for we will hike “whether in sun or rain or snow!”
- Children are to be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Bring a healthy snack and water bottle.
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes.
– Registration –
(PLEASE NOTE THAT REGISTRATION CLOSES SUNDAY, MAY 15TH AT 10AM)
1) Please complete and submit an online Registration Form by clicking HERE.
2) If you’d like to collect donations from friends, relatives and/or neighbours, please download a PLEDGE FORM (see above and underneath ROUTE buttons) and follow instructions on form. If you wish to make an additional donation to the CCFS, please send an e-transfer to jarrett@hand-in-